Old glwg tech in elwg

Bug reporting and feedback only please.

Old glwg tech in elwg

Postby Scotch21 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:18 pm

Are battle points coming back in this game? Also are mines going to get brought back?
- Rusty Entente Defence (RED)

User avatarRubicon
Site Admin

Re: Old glwg tech in elwg

Postby Rubicon » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:51 pm

No. Mines only worked well with fog of war when you couldn't see the mine layers at work. And we sacked fog of war because more people disliked it than liked it.

Battle points were a mistake we're not making again. They can't really be used online, so the online experience differred from skirmish and campaign so you couldn't get used to things.

We also cut out the hail mary. That was a hard decision as I really like it and it could be expanded more, but basically it was a powerful reward for not necessarily doing the right thing, so it made you do things that could be counter-productive in the longer term. A war isn't won by delivering more blows than your opponent, but better ones.

It looks like we've cut a lot of stuff tbh, but it's all deliberate (after all the code already works). What we're going for in this game is no random, no question marks, no bonuses for side issues. The winner will be the one who did the right things at the right time and that is all. We've taken our usual irreverent air to things but we're trying to make a game that's pure tactics.
Regards, Paul Johnson.

Postby BigMeety » Mon May 01, 2017 2:47 am

The hail mary? Maybe im dumb but what r u talking about?

Postby Hyperion703 » Mon May 01, 2017 3:05 am

Rubicon wrote:What we're going for in this game is no random, no question marks, no bonuses for side issues. The winner will be the one who did the right things at the right time and that is all. We've taken our usual irreverent air to things but we're trying to make a game that's pure tactics.

This is phenomenal. On that note, I think once this gets up and going, and tournaments, leagues, and competitive play in general become widespread, random maps will become a thing. The inclusion of randomly generated maps is huge and will likely pay off in a big way down the line. I can only think of one other RTS/TBS game that has had that and it's long gone now. I love the fact that victory is determined by player skill (and, to a degree, luck), and not by whoever has memorized the map more.

Stay up,
-hype
Think Style. Think Skill. ThinkTank.
Dusty Nuggets Battalion: Named for the layer of dust accumulating on my HQ

Return to Epic Little War Game - BETA