Really Safe Harbour

Share tactics, hints, help requests, make general comments, etc.

Re: Really Safe Harbour

Postby rling » Mon May 28, 2012 4:19 am

Key: Their cruiser needs to be sunk in 2 moves - that means tasking 2 destroyers for it initially, until you can buy enough bombers.

Just make sure you move your ships to position that you get first strike.

The rest of the time, just task one of your destroyers to one of their ships (with 2 for the cruiser) - hit each one once to weaken them, and they will sink themselves on the next turn when they counter attack. The bombers built on first turn will take care of the destroyer to the side.

Your aegis will be able to take down the enemy choppers, and the ground based vehicle is not even necessary.

After that, it is a simple matter of parking your bombers at the spot where each enemy ship will appear every 2 turns.
iPad2. OS 5.1.1
Online profile - Princess532

Postby sleepngbear » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:44 am

rling wrote:Key: Their cruiser needs to be sunk in 2 moves - that means tasking 2 destroyers for it initially, until you can buy enough bombers.

Just make sure you move your ships to position that you get first strike.

The rest of the time, just task one of your destroyers to one of their ships (with 2 for the cruiser) - hit each one once to weaken them, and they will sink themselves on the next turn when they counter attack. The bombers built on first turn will take care of the destroyer to the side.

Your aegis will be able to take down the enemy choppers, and the ground based vehicle is not even necessary.

After that, it is a simple matter of parking your bombers at the spot where each enemy ship will appear every 2 turns.

I tried this. The problem is that about 5 days in the enemy comes out with a couple of Aegis's, by which time all my destroyers are gone, and they down any bombers I have in the area no matter where they are. I'm also having bombers back there getting attacked by fighters that I can't get my Aegis to in time. I have not been able to get and keep my Aegis at the top and outside because the all get sunk by the 5th or 6th day. By 3 days left my bombers are either downed or too far to get to the cruiser in time. This is the only level I've had this much difficulty with. Some have taken a few tries, but I've been stuck on this over a week now. I'm open to any other suggestions!!!

Postby rling » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:12 am

AA ships has a really long range. I park mine to the sides of the screen, tasking one for each of their helicopters. Move in, shoot helo, move back. Can also use the AA on land to assist taking down the helos if need be.

Very first round, position all your ships so that it is out of enemies' range. Hit them on second turn, and try to get one destroyer to sink the Aegis so that it can get its 3 kills and promoted ASAP.
iPad2. OS 5.1.1

Postby sleepngbear » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:50 am

rling wrote:AA ships has a really long range. I park mine to the sides of the screen, tasking one for each of their helicopters. Move in, shoot helo, move back. Can also use the AA on land to assist taking down the helos if need be.

Very first round, position all your ships so that it is out of enemies' range. Hit them on second turn, and try to get one destroyer to sink the Aegis so that it can get its 3 kills and promoted ASAP.

Well now I'm really confused. Parking all the ships out of enemy range on the first turn, I can only get one destroyer in range of the cruiser the next turn. Then of course I'm dead the enemy's next turn. I've tried everything, and the only way to sink the first cruiser is to put all destroyers in enemy range and hope I have two left to sink it on the next turn. Getting any Aegis in position to take down anything gets it sunk the next enemy turn. Every enemy piece goes after anything of mine within range. And there are no enemy aegis to sink until about the 5th turn, and by that time all my destroyers are usually gone. I don't know if I've got a f***ed up version of the game or what, but I've tried every combination I can think of in addition to all the suggestions offered here -- buying a destroyer, fighter, or bomber on the first turn, ships in and out of enemy range, I just cannot find the right combination of pieces and moves to get through the round. It's almost like you guys are describing a different game!

Postby rling » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:02 am

The first movement of the two right most destroyer is inwards. They will not be able to hit anything in line with the island you see on the map. Task those two destroyer on right to get the cruiser, and a bomber from right base to take care of one of the right most destroyer.

You only need to buy bombers.

Just click next and have a look at where the helos and destroyers move. You will find the squares that are free of fire on the first round, then move in for a shot on second. 1 hit on each destroyer to weaken them, and 2 of yours to take out their cruiser. Weakened enemy destroyer will sink themselves when they attack you next round.

Plan your moves on where they will be after they move so you can attack, not where they are at present.
iPad2. OS 5.1.1

Postby sleepngbear » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:28 am

rling wrote:The first movement of the two right most destroyer is inwards. They will not be able to hit anything in line with the island you see on the map. Task those two destroyer on right to get the cruiser, and a bomber from right base to take care of one of the right most destroyer.

I cannot move either of the right side destroyers anywhere inward and out of enemy range on the first turn. They both have to go downward, but from there they cannot both reach the cruiser on the next turn. I also cannot get any aegis ships in range of the right side fighter, so that nixes getting a bomber from the right base. I must be dense, because nothing you guys are suggesting comes close to working for me. Really, trying these steps I had everything sunk or shot down in three turns except for the useless ground AA's.

For whatever it's worth, I'm playing this on a BlackBerry PlayBook, if that makes a difference. Gameplay is otherwise great. But this level will be the death of me.

Postby rling » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:58 am

Try this. Do no moves, just click finish turn and see what enemy does, and what the ranges of their ships/helos are. Plan where you need to be so that you are out of range and can still get to move and hit them. Resign that game, restart and place your units where they should be.
iPad2. OS 5.1.1

Postby Jason » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:58 am

One thing I would add is to use that little island with the skeleton on it as a safe-haven for a bomber.

Just like rling said, staying out of range on the enemy's first turn is important.

Postby sleepngbear » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:43 pm

Jason wrote:One thing I would add is to use that little island with the skeleton on it as a safe-haven for a bomber.

Just like rling said, staying out of range on the enemy's first turn is important.

Got it... with a bit of help. Very tricky level. :shock:

Postby j-player » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:09 pm

Avandar couldn't be more wrong. If you try to just buy bombers you'll be lucky to make it for 3 or 4 days.

The key is to buy all destroyers, usually one per turn.

I tried dozens of times over the course of a week and finally found this strategy to work:

Quickly move your Aegis' back toward the General so that they are hiding in the bays to his side and behind him. Protect your Aegis' as long as you can. ONLY send out an Aegis if it looks like a bomber is within one turn of getting your General - then send an Aegis out to get the bomber (it will be a suicide mission).

Use your anti-air guns to take down bombers when they're in their way in. Always go for the 75% hit on a bomber even if you have a chance for a 100% hit. Your Aegis can get the last 25% of the bomber, or your anti-air can take another crack next turn - but if you leave bombers at 100% eventually one of them will get your anti-aircraft and you're screwed. Move your anti-air craft as little as possible to hit the bombers - then move them a space or two backwards to stay out of the bomber's range. Every three or four turns you'll have a chance to move your anti-aircraft onto the resupply zone, and you should take that chance when it comes.

In the meantime, the only thing you should bother purchasing is Destroyers. You should purchase one or two each turn. Use two of the Destroyers you start with to destroy the first Cruiser that comes on the scene. (I went with the two north-east tanks - first move them close to the island in the middle of the bay, then swing them out to intercept the cruiser on turn two). While you're doing that, purchase more Destroyers, and keep them moving them out toward that island, then swinging them into the middle to intercept the Cruiser. You might as well make hits on other Destroyers along the way. Again, always take a chance to hit one by 75%, even if you have an opportunity to get one my 100%. You'd rather have two 25% enemies than one 100% enemy. The key is just to weaken their Destroyers enough that you can past them to that island and survive long enough to swing out and intercept the Destroyer.

Along the way, their forces will make one or two mistakes that aid you. Your goal is basically to make fewer mistakes.

Overall principles for defeating this level:
- This is guerilla warfare. Doublecheck before you move and move to safe places. Dart out to make hits then dart back out of range again.
- This is suicide mission time. You will send Destroyers and Aegis out with the purpose of making a kill, even though you know they won't survive more than a turn.
- Use the bays and islands to hide around and in. Avoid direct contact with the enemy except to weaken their vessels and then move on with your mission.
- Don't bother buying anything other than Destroyers, unless you've run out Aegis and bomber is within one turn.
- At the end your bay will be full of enemy Destroyers and and enemy fighter planes, but they don't matter because they can't kill your general.

It's definitely a close one though - the last turn I was certain the Cruiser would get my general, but it chose to take a shot at one of my Destroyers that I had sent out to intercept it. If the AI was just a smidge smarter it would have beat me, but if you keep trying and using this strategy you'll have the AI make a mistake eventually and you can win.

Good luck everyone, and believe me when I say this mission can be beat!!

PreviousNext

Return to Great Little War Game