Really Safe Harbour

Share tactics, hints, help requests, make general comments, etc.

Re: Really Safe Harbour

Postby Jason » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:54 pm

I've completed it just like Avandar has. So I'm not sure how "wrong" it is.

Congrats on finding another way to do it.

Postby FredSlim » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:59 pm

Avander is right, it is relatively easy if you spam bombers.

On the 1st turn, move the two destroyers on the right below the small skeleton island (so they don't get hit) and move Aegis down so they are slightly ahead and to the outside of the two little islands with the cactus, near the general (one left, two right). Move the left destroyer towards the skeleton island, though this doesn't really matter.

2nd turn use the destroyers to destroy the cruiser, shuffle Aegis forward on the right and left (just within range, then move back) to destroy the Fighters. Create two bombers and move them towards the top-centre.

From then on use the Aegis in darting runs forward and back to destroy any fighters that appear (you should have enough money to build a couple more by the end if needed). Buy bombers whenever you can to primarily nuke the cruiser when it appears, then AA boats, and any spare can take out some destroyers. You should be able to get three or four bombers towards the top-centre by the last few turns, during which time they are taking out the cruisers and AA. Only one cruiser and two AA appear (intermittently, every other turn I think?) so three bombers can clear this problem, and if your Aegis are doing the job it should prevent Fighters from attacking them.

Bombers attacking the general weren't too much of a problem, and if the bombers are thinning the destroyer herds these don't pile up too thick around the general, allowing you to get an Aegis out if needed. I think I had to buy one Aegis towards the end to destroy a bomber that got close, the others grouped up around the cruiser for some reason.

General tips:
Shuffle forward with units so they're shooting at maximum range, and then move back with any spare moves to preserve them (Aegis in particular) as long as possible.
Save the game every successful turn or two (in different slots) in case you mess up a move.
AA tanks aren't particularly useful, aside from "distracting" enemy bombers to slow down their route to the general.

Postby DoubleUFive » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:33 pm

Thanks for the tips on this one, I'll give them a try. I think in easy and medium difficulties I beat it using destroyers, hanging back the first turn just beyond range of their first turn, and then making sure I got the first hit on my second turn, but now I'm up to hard and I'm stuck. I've tried both sea power and air power, both sitting back and waiting and attacking from the beginning. I do notice that if I attack the first turn that the enemy will hang back and shoot at me instead of advancing as quickly. Maybe there's something there. I have spent days on other levels, trying different strategies and finally figuring it out, but this level really has me stumped.

This is a very enjoyable game.

Postby DoubleUFive » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:37 pm

OK, the advice given to use air power is it. You never need to attack their destroyers. On your second turn you must hit the cruiser that they started the game with, but your bombers can take care of all their future cruisers. Thanks for the tip.

In a couple days I should be all the way through GLWG and AOW on hard difficulty. This game has occupied my spare time for a couple months now. I first go through each campaign and complete them without regard to gold, silver or bronze. Then I go back and do then again until I get gold on all of them. Then I go up to the next difficulty level and do that all over again. I have found this to be as much a puzzle game as a strategy/war game.

By the way, one of the funny glitches in this game shows up in this level. If you park a bomber on the spot where their fighters appear, you will get both your bomber and their fighter on that spot at the same time - you will see both some blue parts of your bomber and some red parts of their fighter. When that happens, you can't move your bomber at first, but if you kill their fighter, then you can.

Postby Avandar » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:01 am

"Avandar couldn't be more wrong" that is something I have NEVER heard before in the context of this game. I am glad you won, but your own post says you won by being lucky that a cruiser didn't take you out.

Postby killerme » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:27 pm

Avandar wrote:It took me 4 trays and I beat it. Get your anti air to the far north. Swing the aegis to far north and outboard. The enemy destroyers are all just distractions. You must use your destroyers to attack the cruisers. Only buy bombers and toward the end a fighter. Use your aegis to kill fighters, use your anti air to weaken bombers. You must have your own bombers survive to kill cruisers and defend your aegis to a lesser degree.

I cant understand your reply either. What does 'outboard' mean? Perhaps this is the clue to your apparently bizarre explanation to only buy bombers (which can be defeated by their fighters, and to kill their fighters with your aegis (which will be destroyed by their destroyers) which you say are unimportant. Your bombers and your aegis must go to the centre of the battle which is surrounded by destructive enemy. You just get lamped. And then you say - "its one of the easiest to do??!!??!????!?????!???!?" strange explanation

Postby killerme » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:18 pm

FredSlim wrote:Avander is right, it is relatively easy if you spam bombers
On the 1st turn, move the two destroyers on the right below the small skeleton island (so they don't get hit) and move Aegis down so they are slightly ahead and to the outside of the two little islands with the cactus, near the general (one left, two right). Move the left destroyer towards the skeleton island, though this doesn't really matter.

2nd turn use the destroyers to destroy the cruiser, shuffle Aegis forward on the right and left (just within range, then move back) to destroy the Fighters. Create two bombers and move them towards the top-centre.

From then on use the Aegis in darting runs forward and back to destroy any fighters that appear (you should have enough money to build a couple more by the end if needed). Buy bombers whenever you can to primarily nuke the cruiser when it appears, then AA boats, and any spare can take out some destroyers. You should be able to get three or four bombers towards the top-centre by the last few turns, during which time they are taking out the cruisers and AA. Only one cruiser and two AA appear (intermittently, every other turn I think?) so three bombers can clear this problem, and if your Aegis are doing the job it should prevent Fighters from attacking them.

Bombers attacking the general weren't too much of a problem, and if the bombers are thinning the destroyer herds these don't pile up too thick around the general, allowing you to get an Aegis out if needed. I think I had to buy one Aegis towards the end to destroy a bomber that got close, the others grouped up around the cruiser for some reason.

General tips:
Shuffle forward with units so they're shooting at maximum range, and then move back with any spare moves to preserve them (Aegis in particular) as long as possible.
Save the game every successful turn or two (in different slots) in case you mess up a move.
AA tanks aren't particularly useful, aside from "distracting" enemy bombers to slow down their route to the general.

Your comments re safe harboour on GLWG are very reasonable FredSlim but you dont mention anything about the destroyers. When I play your strategy the destroyers slowly move south and wipe out the aegis. You cant make enough bombers to kill the cruiser, the aegis's AND the destroyers. Your own destroyers get killed off pretty quick against the onslaught. Even if the aegis dont get killed by the destroyers they are pushed so far back that they cant reach the fighters that are regularly generated. It isnt wqorking for me....HELP!!!!!

Postby ms500 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:27 am

Thanks Avandar, I will give it a shot!

sbobet

Previous

Return to Great Little War Game