Scrap - is somebody cheating

Anything goes discussion of our BIG new release

Scrap - is somebody cheating

Postby Jumbo » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:19 pm

Before i go right out and accuse someone of cheating i would like to know if it is possible for someone starting scrap to end the turn with 2 engineers, 1 transport coptor and 1 scout with no oil derrick taken.

If my maths is right i put the total at 350 spend on a map where P1 has a start capital of 250.
I am sitting on the P2 reply move with the option of rejecting the game.

Quite obviously i will reject the game but i would like Paul or someone else with the abilty to check it out before i x it.
I am using Big Bertha.
A carnage a day keeps the monsters away
An ice block a day keeps Quauru away

User avatarRubicon
Site Admin

Re: Scrap - is somebody cheating

Postby Rubicon » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:50 pm

You just need to learn the rules ;)
Regards, Paul Johnson.

Postby Jumbo » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:49 pm

The rules?
If you are thinking an extra 100 from P1 taking an oil derrick then it just hasn't happened, none of the 4 neutral derricks are taken plus the fact that P1s can impossibly have units to the value of 350 visible at the end of turn one as even to get an extra 100 cash bonus you have to spend 100 on a capturing engineer ( if indeed a derrick had been captured) means it has to be plus minus zero in the value of units that can be on the map at the end of turn 1 ie P1 at the end of turn 1 on scrap should only be able to have units to the value of 250 visible.

You can try and reproduce what i am seeing in the game through pass and play but you just will not be able do it.

User avatarRubicon
Site Admin

Postby Rubicon » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:53 pm

Your opponent gets a 100 extra to start with. Been done a lot around the forum. :)
Regards, Paul Johnson.

Postby Jumbo » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:57 pm

Paul you're missing it I am P2 , i have the extra 100 , i have a start budget of 350 not P1.
Go figure....

User avatarRubicon
Site Admin

Postby Rubicon » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:57 pm

You're right, I was. I doubt this is cheating though tbh, the screenshots from hackers I've seen, they don't do it subtly! :) (And we fixed the cheat app that was doing the rounds)

Start a pass and play and have a look, there might be a derrick he can get to or something.
Regards, Paul Johnson.

Postby Saigo » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:11 am

'They don't do it subtly' - maybe we haven't noticed the clever ones until now.

Scrap - there are two neutral derricks on each side of map. It is possible to get one of them as p1 on round 1, using the transport helicopter, but the post above I notice he says all 4 derricks are untaken :-\

It's either cheating, or some mistake in the observation, e.g are you sure there no confusion between matches and you are looking at a P1 and not a p2 ?
YouTube Battle Replays!

Image Read about the original Saigo

Postby Jumbo » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:02 am

Those that play me know that the mistakes are rare, but i admit that they can happen.

I've now taken two screen shots on my ipad and uploaded these to dropbox.

Screenshot1 with scout in southerly viewing point
http://db.tt/G7G3PEr9

Screenshot2 with scout in northerly viewing point
http://db.tt/dzoYuQ0U
In this one you can see the colouration of the opponents derricks and thereby compare with the neutral ones.

Subtle is definitely the word for what you see.

Edit - i would also like us to agree that a P1 at the end of their turn one cannot have units showing that are worth more in value than his starting budget, this being due to the fact that you must spend a 100 to get a bonus 100. This can easily be confirmed in pass and play.

User avatarRubicon
Site Admin

Postby Rubicon » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:02 am

I can't replicate this. The most I end up with is one derrick, one engineer, one scout and one skyhook.

My problem here though is that the money and some other vital variables are now stored encrypted at all times so I think this is more likely to be an old version of the game before we tweaked some variables. If you send your turn in it would probably force him to update to play on.

In any case I'd advise binning the game because you are at a disadvantage here by fair or foul.
Regards, Paul Johnson.

Postby Jumbo » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:31 am

Thanks for confirming it Paul.
I am going to now hit the nice purple X and confirm on the window that opens up (good work on that update improvement)
If anyone has a rating of 1400-1580 then they can pick up another scrap game started by the same player to see if the opening play is repeated.

An idea of mine is that it could be an exploitation of the program whereby a P1 gives themselves P2s starting pot. Bit like the switching sides bug. Maybe something to look at to see if your encryption covers the starting amount.

Next

Return to Great BIG War Game