Anything goes discussion of our BIG new release
User avatarRubicon
Site Admin

Re: Wish list for next update

Postby Rubicon » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:06 pm

Regards, Paul Johnson.

Postby Saigo » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:31 pm

Gbwg, but with medieval units would be nice, I'd pay another few quid for that, ( samurai unit please ! Can attack 3 and kill 3 adjacent units with one attack, expensive, hard to kill )
YouTube Battle Replays!

Image Read about the original Saigo

Postby Patten » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:44 pm

Love it - think you'll have lots of fun.

To saigo's point a reskin of gbwg with new units (e.g. Horses, archers) would be quick to do and with some smart unit design would create a completely new game?

Not sure if this is a gbwg thread though!

Postby Xanthor » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:35 am

Yeah I really want to complain about a few things but I forget that this game was written for a phone.

My first android device in life is this Galaxynote 10.1 tablet. I dunno if I would even like it on a phone. Okay so with that in mind I won't complain. LOL!

I think what I want is bigger maps and an undo multiple moves button. Phone peeps probably don't want bigger maps.

Oh and do you know how many games I played before I figured out why the dude never ran into any of my mines!

The game AI engine is awful. If you want to be more than a fad you need to focus on the MP aspects. The only reason I played against the computer first was to get a feel for the game so that I did not totally get my butt kicked in the MP.

Pogo has a risk game that has survived for like 5 years. It kinda sucks - I mean its risk .... but it still has a following.

Axis and Allies had a great following on thezone back in the day but it was far too buggy and people gave up.

Nobody I know who plays these things wants to play a stupid computer. At least I don't. I need my opponents to think and be strategic for me to stay interested.

I suppose the only thing I don't like is that when I create a game I have to wait for someone else who has paid for the map to join it. Sometimes that's just too long of a wait. Whereas the included maps always gets a taker really fast... but I'm tired of those maps already.

That and my desires for a map generator for bigger maps probably don't coexist with your revenue desires. It seems you sell maps. I mean I don't even know what 175 battle points are ... isent that for when you play vs the computer? But you combined it with multiplayer maps? So .... well yep - that's what it seems.

So then we have an "it is what it is" scenario. Which for me is kind of a bummer because that means I already know the future.

Don't get me wrong - I only bought it because it was a quarter on googles sale. I've definitely gotten my moneys worth of amusement. but I would not have paid $2 or $3 or $4 for it - well because - I wouldn't pay that much for any game that I knew nothing about - ever!

I love MP war games - I'm glad I got it and its been fun - but at the same time I'm kinda bummed to know "it is what it is".

So my suggestions:

Bombers need to move 1 more space. They are worthless otherwise. They just might still be worthless then too.

The 125 change on the rocket launcher dude was not right. 100 was fine... have them do 5% to buildings. It screwed with the balance between it and the recon tank when you did that.

Air units protecting ground units from being targeted is a terrible "feature" ... well Im sure you've already heard all about it.

So If I were you I would add missles to the air units. They could go a distance and do major damage. Maybe launch from a special building. If you wanted to get creative you could even make them nukes with fallout and "posion fog" that drifts around for some time after - doing damage and killing peeps (maybe your own). I refrained from these suggestions earlier because ... well .. because I realized it was written for a phone! LOL!

I assume I was playing (and coding)war games while you were in diapers. LMAO .... So are you the only coder? Did you inherit the mess? I read you talk about some of the code being a bit noodles ... are you the spaghetti maker? :)

Anyways good show mate!

Postby Greatbigjim » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:32 am

How about letting the tech build a flare - which eliminates fog Of war for one turn? Or even until you make another move?

Or let tech build a Moab, destroying everything adjacent.

Agree that air turrets are useless... Less range than a movable chopper.

Postby qklilx » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:24 am

I always thought the FOW was black for iPods and iPhones. hahahahaha
COMBAT MONSTERS REFERRAL CODE:

MJ4PLYF

Use it for 25% more coins when you purchase Rubicoins and support a broke rapper!

Postby Kawila » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:41 am

my wishes for the future of this great little game:

Frequently add new units and change the balance between the existing units.
Introduce as many new IAP options and advertising as possible in order to maximize short term revenue.
Be scared to change existing coding.
Thus the game will soon loose its appeal and I'll gain a LOT of time. My gf will be very thankful. Me, too - later :)

or

develop your online game so that in 5 years it will have >>100.000 addicted regulars and millions of sporadic players.
That should give reasonable and sustainable long-term profit. (maybe wishful thinking but why not given the quailty of the game?)

Meaning:
(1) don't add more units. Keep the balance stable.

(2) Continuously monitor the map quality by keeping, publishing and evaluating game stats for each map. Fix or close unfair/boring maps.

(3) Improve the multi-player experience (a lot should be possible with some small/medium dev effort):
(a) online chat function
(b) enable watching matches between other players
(c) enable downloading and storing of matches, provide game viewer
(d) new options for joining matches: 'randomly chosen map', 'rematch (same map but other player starts)',...
(e) organizing tourneys

(4) rewrite coding, simplify it, fix bugs. Yes, this will introduce some new bugs temporarily. But it is the only way to achieve a high quality product (fast, low resource consumption, easy to maintain and improve). Long-term advantage will far outweigh short-term effort and risk. You might even find out that calculating the fog is not so complex that it needs a supercomputer... :)

(5) involve the regs (via forum). Continue to listen to them and give them the chance to do some work for you :) Maybe some want to help. (optimizing maps, moderating,...)

(6) mid-term: provide an tech. interface and try out if some users (or work groups from universities?) want to develop bots (automatic AI players) and/or improve your 'AI' algorithm?

Postby qklilx » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:55 pm

Xanthor wrote:If you want to be more than a fad you need to focus on the MP aspects.

I suppose the only thing I don't like is that when I create a game I have to wait for someone else who has paid for the map to join it.

I mean I don't even know what 175 battle points are

1. They are concentrating on the MP game, both in design and in support. They've said in the past that they have no intention of adding more campaign missions unless they make a buttload of money. This brings me to the third point, but first...

2. You must have an oddly obscure ELO rating. That's probably the first time anyone has complained about waiting for a game to start on this forum.

3. Battle points are for the campaign, which you clearly have not played since you don't know what they are.
COMBAT MONSTERS REFERRAL CODE:

MJ4PLYF

Use it for 25% more coins when you purchase Rubicoins and support a broke rapper!

Postby Greatbigjim » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:06 am

Levels with no buildings..... But techs that can build them for $1500. (And some cash)

Postby UsedRugs » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:21 pm

mooseman56 great post. I love to see half of what you said in the next patch.

PreviousNext

Return to Great BIG War Game