Screen shots...

Anything goes discussion of our BIG new release

Re: Screen shots...

Postby Qest » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:21 am

Beach Fight is the map I know best. I think it's probably the fairest small map. I still think P2 has an advantage, but it's tiny, and because the map is so defensive, any early imbalance has negligible import.

Anyway, it took a bit of doing to orchestrate that turn. Your Corporal medium tank's existence your hill was bothering me the first couple times I tried it, but I initially gave up on it. After a couple more goes, I was one kill short of the 3rd Hail Mary, and your Corporal was half dead. I resolved to get it somehow and finally pieced it together as you saw. The trick was the grenadier heading across the field mid-way through the turn, but saving his grenade for the coup de grace.

Anyway, thanks for the YouTube video. It's cool.

Postby bolt986 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:51 am

Qest wrote:Beach Fight is the map I know best. I think it's probably the fairest small map. I still think P2 has an advantage, but it's tiny, and because the map is so defensive, any early imbalance has negligible import.

Anyway, it took a bit of doing to orchestrate that turn. Your Corporal medium tank's existence your hill was bothering me the first couple times I tried it, but I initially gave up on it. After a couple more goes, I was one kill short of the 3rd Hail Mary, and your Corporal was half dead. I resolved to get it somehow and finally pieced it together as you saw. The trick was the grenadier heading across the field mid-way through the turn, but saving his grenade for the coup de grace.

Anyway, thanks for the YouTube video. It's cool.

Yeah, I feel that I've gotten really good at the map by playing you but you still have me beat. I don't like the defensive quality of the map and the endless stalemate that occurs if neither of the players get an advantage early in the game bothers me. Sadly I don't think I will be able to pull a fast one over and steal your factory again :)). I'm curious if you saw my screen shot and were referencing it while planning your turn lmao. (i knew you could figure out pretty much everything it shows anyways so I didn't really care :P)

So my main mistake with my turn comes observing of the normal flow of the game where gaining stars towards your hail mary moves the opponent further from their own. This is important in small battles when stars are kind of traded back and forth but when the opponent has zero stars they can't get further from the hail marry than they already are. I was under the illusion that you would have have to kill 14 units to get the first a hail-mary. I figured you would kill most of the units and several of my MLRS but didn't expect you to have a hail mary before you even started attacking my ranged units in the back. (the two thousand dollar shot hurt a lot) I I had thought that aspect over more carefully we would still be passing turns doing nothing.
In-Game Name: Bolt986
Feel free to add me, accepting all games on balanced maps.
Device: Samsung GT-P3113 | OS: Android 4.1.1

Postby Saigo » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:35 am

Haha! Great clip. ( Though, it reminded me why I usually play with sound off :-$ )
YouTube Battle Replays!

Image Read about the original Saigo

Postby Qest » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:22 am

The screenshot didn't make a difference. The one jeep that was obscured by the fog of war I already had a good idea was probably still there, and a trial area-effect attack on the one in front of it confirmed it. You were wise to obscure your cash, as that info would have had me positioning my units to follow through on the counter-attack rather than retreating as I did.

Yes, what I call the "turtle phase" of a Beach Fight is really long. Each side sitting there on their respective hills earning 200g each turn, just waiting for one player to decide that they've reached critical mass and attack. That's part of why I lined up the Behemoths as I did. Note the buffer of air behind them to protect the other units from MLRS. (I had the first step covered with Behemoths and in Bolt's screenshot on page one, you see the craters he turned them into.) The Behemoths are so tough that you have to send forth a strong offense to defeat them as you did, but strong offensive units are generally weak on defense, and make the counter-attack easier.

There are a few ways it can go from the turtle phase. Almost always, someone attacks too soon. Otherwise, there are two other possibilities. One, which is quite difficult, is to send out very few inexpensive units, take out an expensive unit, and come away with a small economic victory, or ding the HQ. Do this a few times, and your opponent will decide it's time to attack lest they be nickel-and-dimed to death. Beware promoting your enemy using this method.

The other way is to actually reach the critical threshold of enough units/cash to actually get to an opponent's building. In my experience, a strong, well-prepared player can turn the strongest attack on this map; however, they will have a building damaged, and another attack wave can then destroy that damaged building. In my experience, this involves a lone Behemoth (of the opponent's choice) pushing slowly through the incredible carnage surrounding it using Hail Mary repairs every turn.

The thing is that while turtle phase is boring to play through, it makes small economic advantages from the early game unimportant, which is one of the reasons I think Beach Fight is so balanced.

Since I'm laying out everything I know, I may as well give you the last secret: Behemoths move faster on sand than they do on grass!

Postby Saigo » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:35 am

Great write up, made me want to go back to that map for some more.

Turtle-phase here we come....

:-B
YouTube Battle Replays!

Postby BountyHunter504 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:53 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359409895.128165.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359409895.128165.jpg (161.76 KiB) Viewed 5067 times

Anurag as P1 and me as P2.... I thought he had me dead to rights.... Barely stopped him from destroying my HQ
✠ WHODAT ✠

Postby bolt986 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:21 pm

What the Scouts is that!
In-Game Name: Bolt986
Feel free to add me, accepting all games on balanced maps.
Device: Samsung GT-P3113 | OS: Android 4.1.1

Postby Saigo » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:35 pm

Ah I recognize that play, he beat me on that map in the same manner, nice grenadier action, backed up with a medic, didn't see it coming....でもすぎに。。!
YouTube Battle Replays!

Postby BountyHunter504 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:03 am

bolt986 wrote:What the Scouts is that!

I guess that would be scout lake... )
✠ WHODAT ✠

Postby Saigo » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:10 pm

saigo as P2 enjoying some Trenches....
Attachments
image.jpg